Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Labor Day!

Ah, Labor Day. The day when we do anything BUT labor! Today was just what I needed after the craziness of the past two weeks. Between my son's fifth birthday, and the beginning of school, things have been a little crazy around here!

Zach had a wonderful fifth birthday. We celebrated with a bunch of his friends at Going Bonkers which is a huge indoor play area. The kids had a blast (and the parents did, in fact, go bonkers)! Zach had requested a dinosaur birthday theme this year.  While I would have loved to go all out with dinosaur decorations, the decor of Going Bonkers only left me so many options. But we had a big T-Rex balloon and these amazing dinosaur cupcakes which I whipped up for the party.


The kids loved them and the best part was the everyone got to keep the little dinosaur toy on top!

Just a few days later it was time for Zach to start Kindergarten! He had a great first week of school. He loves his teacher and the kids in his class. It's so great to see him going off on his own like this! So grown up! Here he is posing on the first day:


So last week was all about adjusting to everyone's new schedules. But we are finally settling in!

One thing I LOVE about Zach being in school again is the time it gives me for little projects around the house. I have a list of sewing projects, cleaning projects, organizational projects...you name it, that I've been wanting to try. This week, I decided to take advantage of Alice's nap time and whip out my Mom's sewing machine (which I have on loan!).  Since I didn't want to get too involved in a big project, I decided to make myself an arm band for my iPhone for workouts!  Usually when I am running or lifting, I stick my iPhone in the waistband of my pants.  Let's just say it's not ideal. The phone gets sweaty or even worse it starts to slide down my leg!  I figured before I ran out and spent twenty bucks on a band, I would try to make one with materials I already had on hand.  All I needed was an old t-shirt, a measuring tape, scissors, my pin cushion, and my sewing machine.


First, I measured my arm where the band would go.  


Then I measured the length of my iPhone.


I cut a piece from the old t-shirt with the width measuring the same as my arm and the height measuring twice the length of my iPhone.  


Since I used the hem of the shirt in my original cut, that end was already finished up! Next I sewed a small hem in the opposite end.  Once that was done, I folded the piece of fabric in half lengthwise (right sides together and raw edges meeting) and pinned the side.


I used my sewing machine to sew up that side.


Then I turned it right side out half way (so that the tube was folded in half).


And that was it! I slipped it on my arm, popped my iPhone into the "pocket" and I was ready to go!  


This project was so easy and it took me, maybe 15 minutes. I've had a chance to use this several times at the gym and it works like a charm! My iPhone stays secure on my arm and out of my way! 

If you want to try this little project, I would recommend using a t-shirt with a good amount of stretch left to it.  Otherwise, I think it would stretch out a bit and not be tight enough on your arm.

Since I have my mom's sewing machine on loan, I'll probably be posting plenty of sewing posts in the future! There are so many projects I want to try!

I hope that everyone had a fantastic Labor Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment