Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Autumn Chili

Aside from having to chop onions at 9am, I can't think of a downside to using my Crock Pot.  I love being able to get dinner ready early in the day, before things get crazy.  I love the smells that fill my house all day as the meal simmers away.  And I love the way the flavors infuse into one another after hours of cooking.

And what's one of the most common Crock Pot recipes? You guessed it...CHILI! I have several good recipes for Chili, but one of my favorites (and by far, my husbands top pick) is Autumn Chili.  This chili combines all my favorite flavors of fall like butternut squash and apples with some traditional chili ingredients (onions and black beans) and some nontraditional (carrots and coconut milk).  And by using ground turkey instead of beef, this recipe get's onto my "healthy meal" list.



Autumn Chili (adapted from Crock-pot.com)

1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalk celery, chopped
2 cups apples, diced
2 cups butternut squash, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey, cooked and drained
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
10 ounces chicken broth
1 can coconut milk
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

Combine all ingredients in Crock-Pot.  Cook on low for 8 hours. If desired, open lid for the last 45 minutes to thicken.

I love to serve this with just a dollop of sour cream and a side of corn bread for a delicious fall meal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment